Monday, July 30, 2007

The Remember Song


The Remember Song performed by Tom Rush

Dean sent me this song, perhaps as a not so subtle reminder of how bad my memory is. Everything this guy sings, is true for me. I'm sure that I'll develop Alzheimer's by the time I'm 50. I blame the anesthetic from all the surgery I've had.

Sometimes it's really bad. Every morning Dean and I play a game: "Where did Uman put his wallet last night?" If I'm lucky I left it in the car. Or in Dean's car. Or in my pants. Or at the dentist's office.

One reason I restarted this blog was in response to an exercise from my Souljourner's residency about one's personal story, and my own frustration at how little I remember.

But having a bad memory is not all bad! For example, I almost never gossip, because I can't remember anything anybody tells me to gossip about. And I can cheerfully watch the same movie over and over again, because I almost never remember what happens.

Well, enjoy the song.

P.S. Has anybody seen my cell phone? I've been looking for it for weeks. Seriously.

P.P.S. I found the lyrics:

Looking for my wallet and my car keys,
Well they can't have gone too far;
And just as soon as I find my glasses
I'm sure I'll see just where they are.

Supposed to meet someone for lunch today,
But I can't remember where
Or who it is that I am meeting:
It's in my organiser ~ somewhere.

I might have left it on the counter;
Maybe outside in the car.
Last time I remember driving
Was to that Memory Enhancement Seminar.

What's that far-off distant ringing
and that strangely familiar tone?
Must be the person I am meeting
Calling me on my brand new cordless 'phone.

I might have left it under the covers,
Or maybe outside on the lawn;
And I've got just one more ring to go
Before my answering machine kicks on.

*Click*

"Hi, this is Tom and your call means a lot to me,
So leave a message at the tone
And I'll do my best to try to remember
To call you back when I get home."

*Beep*

"Tom, this is Gwendoline, and I am trying not to cry
But I've been waiting here for over an hour ~
I thought you loved me. This is goodbye!"

Hell, the voice sounds familiar,
And the name it rings a bell.
Let's see now, where was I?
Oh well...

No comments: