Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax Dies



Gary Gygax, the creator of Dungeons & Dragons died today at age 69. I was one of those nerds who grew up playing D&D. Started when I was about 10 years old and played until I was a Sophomore in college before I stopped. I remember owning most of the original books and game modules, which in mint condition, are sometimes worth quite a lot today.

Anyway, the one thing I remember most about playing, besides the geeky fun, is the creativity involved. I remember it being one of the few outlets I had for creativity, and from time-to-time, even wrote and dungeon mastered my own game modules.

Gary Gygax's control of his company was taken from him by his business partners in a sad string of events in the mid 80s. He continued developing on his own, but he never achieved quite the same kind of prominence again--the original name and brand stuck and Gary Gygax's name was forgettable to many.

No comments: