Friday, March 14, 2008

Life List

A little earlier, inspired by a magazine (Body + Soul), I spent a few minutes writing a Life List--a list of things I want to do before I die. I added a few more to the list just now. Here it is:

Life List

  • Visit Ireland
  • Visit all 7 of the natural wonders of the world
  • Visit the sacred wonders of the world
  • Visit the 7 medieval wonders of the world
  • Learn to play piano well
  • Learn to play guitar well
  • Paint well enough to sell things
  • Learn to sing well enough to be in a choir
  • Ride a train
  • Be a Certified Spiritual Director
  • Go on a 30-day Ignatian Retreat
  • Become physically fit
  • Write a published article, then a book – perhaps a devotional or similar work
  • Get a bit-part in a local play
  • Learn to make pottery
  • Learn Liturgical Latin well enough to understand Gregorian Chant
  • Own a home free-and-clear
  • Learn Biblical Greek well enough to read the NT without a dictionary
  • Play competitive ping-pong
  • Take a cooking class
  • Design and lead prayer retreats
  • Go snorkeling/scuba dive anywhere that a beautiful reef exists
  • Get over my fear of what others think of me (perfectionism, etc.)
  • Visit a rainforest (that isn’t part of a zoo)
  • Find a way to keep the house clean
  • Learn to not obsess over the things that piss me off


Some things that strike me about the list: there's a lot of traveling at the beginning. I didn't think I wanted to travel that much, but I really would love to see all those things, just once. Also, there's a lot of learning. That doesn't surprise me--I love learning. Finally, the majority of the list seems to me to be a lot about beauty. I am captivated by awesome and beautiful things--nature, art, music, and yes, God & prayer are beautiful to me too.

1 comment:

The Piano Wizard Queen said...

You can achieve two items in your life list by trying out Piano Wizard and Guitar Wizard (which is coming out this fall) Piano Wizard and Guitar Wizard will teach you how to play the piano and guitar and read notes as well. You can even learn how to play virtually any song with Piano Wizard and Guitar Wizard. To know more about Piano Wizard and Guitar Wizard, you can visit http://www.pianowizard.com/piano_wizard.php