Thursday, December 04, 2008

Soul Care


I hosted the first Soul Care: 30 Minute Retreats yesterday evening at St. Paul's UCC, our temporary space while we're recovering from the church fire.

I planned 3 short meditations:
1) how our parents influenced who we are
2) how we have a message and a gift for the world
3) how God has been shaping us

sandwiched between opening and closing prayers and song.

It went reasonably well. I did it twice, once at 6:30 and once at 7:30 (well, actually 7:45).

The meeting space was good--spacious with plenty of seating, and I think I was able to create an intimate space with a small altar, comfortable music and scented candles. But the noise was rather disruptive. This was especially true in the second one, when the children were done with their program and were basically running around unsupervised. Coupled with the noise from the practicing choir, and a couple of adults having a very audible argument in the next room, it was very hard to shut out the noise and focus on the meditation. At least one of the participants reported having to cover her ears with her hands.

The first one had about 6 participants, all from our church. The second had 5, all from St. Paul UCC church. None of the people who I thought were going to attend the 7:30 did, so I am very thankful that the UCCers showed up.

I talked with Michael afterwards, and he suggested that my group switch rooms with his, which is in a more remote part of the church. Plus it has a TV, so I would have a way to show a short film (which I want to do in the 3rd session).

No comments: