Friday, December 12, 2008

NAE's Richard Cizik resigns

"WASHINGTON — A top evangelical leader has resigned his post following an uproar over a recent interview when he said he supports civil unions for gays.

The National Association of Evangelicals says the Rev. Richard Cizik quit Thursday as the group's representative in Washington.

The announcement follows Cizik's Dec. 2 interview on National Public Radio's "Fresh Air" program. Cizik said on the show that he backs same-sex civil unions and made other comments that the evangelical group says don't reflect their values.

Cizik had already made enemies of some evangelical leaders because of his high-profile fight against global warming."


Richard Cizik was also one of the signatories on that bogus NYT Prop 8 ad I mentioned earlier.

On NPR, Cizik said, “I’m shifting, I have to admit,” the Rev. Richard Cizik told NPR. “In other words, I would willingly say that I believe in civil unions. I don’t officially support redefining marriage from its traditional definition, I don’t think.”

I have to admit, I don't get the semantic thing about "civil union" vs. "marriage". And I think the whole idea of a "traditional definition of marriage" is entirely bogus anyway. There is no such thing. Marriage has been constantly redefined over and over again. And in the 10-12th centuries, you could find a sacrament of gay marriage in the catholic liturgy.

Anyway, it sucks that Rich Cizik has lost his job.

No comments: