Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Primaries

I have to admit that I don't understand how primaries work. The state legislatures (even some state constitutions) decide when a primary will be held. But the National PARTY decides whether a state's vote counts.

If Clinton and Obama are close, Clinton is going to try to get Michigan and Florida to count (because she "won" those states). But how does THAT make any sense since the voting in those states will not be accurate (poorer voters who I think are more likely to vote for Obama are not going to take time out of their jobs/lives to cast a worthless vote)? And apparently once a delegate is decided, the winning delegate will have the power to make Michigan and Florida votes "really" count. Huh? Run that by me again?


It doesn't make any sense to me.

If the National Party can decide whether a state's vote counts, why don't they decide WHEN the state have its primary? And for that matter, why don't all states vote on the same day like they do in the general election?

It doesn't make any sense to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the process by which we elect the President of the United States - will someone please tell me if this is The Original Snipe Hunt?

Spideywhomper