Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Five Faces of Power

Two main points of the five faces of power is this:
first, that I need to think of power in broader terms than I usually have, and
second, that each face of power can be either holy/creative or distorted/destructive.

Because of my negative experiences with power, I have generally considered it to nearly always be negative. But even when I am protesting against "The Powers", I am exercising power. More on that later.

Back to the book...

Power On -- this is basically the power to do things, to influence my environment and circumstances, to "run my life". Lack of power leads to over-dependence. Too much leads to the illusion of autonomy (I can do this all by myself).

Power Over -- the strength to take charge, to give direction, to manage the power of others. Distortions include constraining and coercion, manipulation and the pursuit of private gain.

Power Against -- the strength to test myself, to learn that I can fall without being shamed, to deal constructively with conflict, to be able to stand in the face another person's power and survive. Distortions are obvious.

Power For -- the strength to pursue someone else's benefit, to further the goals of a group, the strength to nurture and minister. Distortions include dominance and the distortion of "I know best what's good for you".

Power With -- the strength to share in mutual empowerment, to collaborate, be dependable and to be able to depend on others, to receive and benefit from others' power, to recognize my limits.

No comments: