Friday, February 01, 2008

Frances' funeral

Dean and I went to his grandmother Frances’ graveside funeral service today. It was a nice service, but very cold and windy. I about froze my toes. Dean did really well right up until they sang “I’ll Fly Away” and then had some trouble. Afterwards we visited with the family before driving home.

Dean and I feel especially sad for Frances' husband George (they just got married 3 months ago). His son was at the funeral, and apparently it's the first they've seen each other in years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A soloist sang "My Jesus I Love Thee" at my mother's funeral. A couple of weeks ago we sang it at church, and I wept all over again. It was the story of my mother's life.

My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine;
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign.
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

I love Thee because Thou has first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree.
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

I’ll love Thee in life, I will love Thee in death,
And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath;
And say when the death dew lies cold on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

In mansions of glory and endless delight,
I’ll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright;
I’ll sing with the glittering crown on my brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.