Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Psalm 97


I can't even see the sun this morning.
The coastland fog has blotted out heaven's light,
making the early hours cold and damp.
But God is here--in me and around me--
and I will rejoice in Him.

I hear no angel choirs.
No church bells summon me to worship.
Only the thunder of four-wheel vehicles
and the acrid odor of exhaust greet me
as men and women rush to their unnumbered shrines.
But God is here, and I will rejoice in Him.

I cannot see the mountains or smell the flowers
or even hear the songs of birds.
I cannot love the people who bustle around me.
I see unhappiness and injustice and depravity.
I hear the ear-grating sounds of pain and complaint.
I feel the stifling pressures that suck me
into the stream that rushes by my door.
But God is here--in me and around me--
and I will rejoice in Him.

Our great God does care for His creatures.
He secures forever those who are His.
He is here--in us and around us.
Let us all rejoice in Him!

--Leslie F. Brandt, Psalms/Now

No comments: